Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Nobody ever liking my favorite song is marbles

I did a little experiment tonight and was proven correct. While I usually agree with friends and critics on what albums are good, I almost never agree on which songs on those albums are the best, and I don't know why.

Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion was the subject. Everyone pretty much agrees it's brilliant, and so do I. And after having sat with it for a few weeks now I feel like I have a handle on what my favorite song is ("Taste"). So I went on metacritic and checked five or six of the higher-rated reviews to see what they thought of my song. The majority didn't even mention it, even the ones that made a point of going through a track-by-track description. What gives?

I'd like to blame it on the short period of time that reviewers have with an album before their deadlines come (so they might overlook a grower), but I don't think that's really the case anymore, since everything leaks months in advance. The only thing I can really come up with to explain it is that everyone is wrong except me.

No comments: